The skin around the eyes is one part of your body that shows early signs of ageing, especially when left without care. Contrary to what you may think, the skin around the eye requires special care and attention. This is because this patch of skin is thinner and more delicate than any other part of the face.
External stressors, ultraviolet rays, genetic reasons, and poor lifestyle choices like less sleep, poor diet, etc., can wreak havoc on the skin, especially the area around the eyes, and make it age quickly. However, no matter how old you are, it is never too late to establish a solid care routine for the skin around the eyes. To make things easier, here is a simplified guide to under eye care.
- Moisturise, moisturise, moisturise: Moisturisation is the most underrated yet the most important step in our skin care routine. Lack of moisture and natural oils in the skin around our eyes can make it more prone to dryness. Hence, it is important to moisturise the skin around the eyes to make it look radiant. The skin around the eyes is thinner and can be sensitive. It is a good idea to invest in a good under eye gel or cream to moisturise and add some life to the skin around your eyes.
- Use the right ingredients: When looking for the right under eye cream or eye gel, it is important to know which ingredients to look for based on your specific concerns. If you are looking for a solution for fine lines, you should look for products with hydrating humectants to reduce the loss of moisture and add plumpness to your skin. Other ingredients to try include prescription-based retinoids, retinol, vitamin A derivative, and peptides. For dark circles and hyperpigmentation, look for creams with arbutin, hydroquinone, kojic acid, vitamin C, niacinamide, or azelaic acid. Other ingredients to look for combating puffiness and other general concerns may include caffeine, green tea, vitamin C, vitamin E, niacinamide, etc.
- Be gentle: As the skin under the eyes is thin, extra pressure from rubbing the eyes can contribute to extra lines. Hence, it is vital to be gentle with your skin when washing your eyes, removing makeup, or even applying any products.
- Protect from the sun: Exposure to the sun can play a big role in the skin ageing process and dark circles. One should apply a broad-spectrum sunscreen with an appropriate SPF every day to protect the skin from harmful UV rays. Additionally, invest in a good pair of sunglasses to protect the skin around your eyes from the unwanted UVA and UVB rays.
- Make lifestyle changes: When it comes to taking care of the skin around your eyes, lifestyle changes are the way to go. The thin skin around our eyes reflects what’s on the inside. Making certain lifestyle changes can help a big deal in taking care of the skin around the eyes and make us look less tired and weary and fresher and more radiant. Make sure you get at least 8 hours of sleep every day. Try to follow a balanced and healthy diet and drink enough water. Avoid bad habits such as smoking which can speed up the ageing process. And lastly, workout more regularly.
Health & Glow features a great range of eye care and skin care products from different brands. You can browse from a huge collection of under eye creams and gels with various premium ingredients to target your concerns.