There is no way to describe the experience of learning how to do your hair. It is so difficult to grow up with different curly hair types, particularly when you don’t get the opportunity to share your hair with family members or friends who can probably help.
Top Tips on How to Care for Curly Hair
Curly hair is difficult to handle since they are porous and naturally dry. However, it becomes easy to absorb moisture from the air. This makes the curly hair types more prone to frizziness. Hence, extra care and regular moisturizing are very important. A strong hair-care routine and gentle curly hair care tips can make styling your curly hair types easier.
Use this guide to keep your hair healthy and shiny with bouncy curls.
1. Be careful while choosing shampoo: Notwithstanding your hair texture, washing hair is the foremost step in any hair care regimen. Washing hair ensures no dust, dead skin cells, excess oil, or other product buildups. So, while washing your hair, use a mild shampoo that doesn’t contain harsh chemicals like alcohol, sulfates, and other toxic chemicals. Such chemicals are prone to irritate the scalp. Instead, consider buying mild chemical-free shampoos. Besides, dilute your shampoo in water before applying it to your hair. The use of diluted shampoo will prevent you from using excessive shampoo, which is good for your hair and your pocket.
2. Never use excessive shampoo: Dry hair is the most common problem people encounter with their curly hair. Too much shampooing can cause your hair to lose its natural moisture. Besides, look for moisturizing agents while buying curly hair products. Use a good conditioner after shampooing to protect your hair from possible damages caused by the environment.
3. Give your hair a pre-shampoo treatment: Pre-shampoo treatment is highly beneficial for curly hair. It will help you detangle your hair and remove the frizz from your hair. First, separate your hair into sections. Once dried, apply a good conditioner oil or hair mask to them. Next, cover your hair with a towel or shower cap to trap heat and let the cuticle open. This step will make sure that your conditioner penetrates your hair properly.
4. Avoid brushing curly hair: Never brush your curly hair. Instead, use a wide-toothed brush to comb your hair before shampooing. Just run your fingers over your bouncy hair after the wash. You should never comb your curly hair when wet. Wet hair is more sensitive to cause breakage and damage.
5. Style your hair with moderate heat: Avoid using high heat styling tools since they can cause your curls to be more dry and lifeless. If you can’t avoid using a styling tool, it is ideal to use a good heat protection spray beforehand. A tool with moderate heat and a diffuser are good to use to protect your naturally bouncy curls.
6. Comb your hair with a wide-toothed comb: The right way to remove tangles for curly hair is to comb them with a wide-toothed comb. Work your way up from the bottom to remove knots. Each curl is a breaking point. However, handle each one with gentle care. A hairbrush can ruin your natural hair texture and cause further more damage.
7. Wash your hair with cold to lukewarm water: Hot water shower can rip off the natural oil from your hair. Besides, hot water can also cause your hair to become crimped and breakable by opening up the dermis. So coldwater is eventually the best option whether you want to shampoo your hair or conditioning.
8. Trim your curly hair regularly to avoid split ends: Trim your hair regularly after every six to eight weeks. Regular trimming will deal with split ends and damaged hair. Besides, trimming will keep your bouncy hair look and feel healthy always.
9. Follow the sleep routine: Experts recommend a specific sleep routine, particularly curly hair types. Tie your hair on the top of your head in a bun form or a loose ponytail. This routine will prevent friction between your hair and the pillowcase. You can also lower the discord by using silk or satin pillowcases rather than cotton ones.
10. Treat your curly hair with natural remedies: A hair mask is also advisable to use. Make sure the hair mask you are using contains natural ingredients. Here are some easy options you can consider.
- Make a hair mask with a mixture of olive oil, vinegar, mayonnaise, and eggs. Apply it to your hair and wash off your hair with a mild shampoo after thirty minutes. The eggs in the mask will provide your hair with proteins, whereas mayonnaise is the best to add moisture to the dry curls’ ends.
- Avocados are also a good source of Vitamin E and B. Make a paste of a ripe avocado mixed with tablespoon-full honey and two tablespoons of olive oil. Apply the mixture on your bouncy hair and leave it for thirty minutes and wash your hair with a gentle shampoo.
- Another natural treatment you can consider for your curly hair is the use of fenugreek seeds, apple cider vinegar, and milk.
Additional tips for your curly hair.
- Avoid washing your hair daily since everyday shampooing can strip off the natural oil.
- Avoid using cotton pillowcases since the cotton material can cause scrapping amid the strands.
- Avoid heat styling since it can cause your bouncy hair to lose moisture.
- Avoid agreeing on commonly used products. Rather look for a particular curly hair shop where you can get products suitable for your hair type.
Giving the key points
All the tips treated here, limited heat styling, and gentle hair care are all you need to consider to keep your bouncy curls in shape. Avoid washing your hair daily and never do excessive shampooing. And ultimately, flaunt your beautiful bouncy curly hair with a loose hairstyle so it doesn’t cause your scalp pain.