Have you ever dropped a cell phone in a pool or spilled your Mountain Dew all over your keyboard? Here are some steps to save your electronics if you drop them in liquid or spill liquid on them.
- Rip out the battery. Well don’t actually rip it out, but take it out as fast as possible. And if it’s wired, like a keyboard, unplug it. You want to stop the flow of electricity to prevent a short from happening.
- Open it up. If you feel you are smart enough to open it up, go ahead and carefully disassemble as much as you can, making sure you will be able to put it back together. If you don’t want to open your laptop, cell phone, mp3 player, or whatever, then skip to the next step.
- Wipe off the liquid. Use a static-free towel to wipe off any liquid you see. If you did step 2 and opened it up, be extra careful not to damage anything. If needed, use a Q-tip to wipe off the liquid in tight spots.
- Let it dry, by itself. Don’t use a fan and definitely don’t use a hair drier. Put your item in a warm spot, but not in direct sunlight, and not on top of a heater or anything like that. Let it sit for at least 2 days. I recommend up to 5 days, if you can wait.
That’s about it. If you took the battery out quick enough, it should work. If you didn’t, it probably shorted out and died. It’s worth a shot anyway as most warranties don’t cover water damage.
Also don’t forget to dry the battery itself, if there was one. Hope this helps someone.