How to protect your computer from the Conficker C virusApril 2nd, 2009 by WordPlop
image from Wikipedia
There has been quite a bit of talk on the internet about the Conficker virus that was supposed to wreck a whole lot of computers yesterday. People are panicking all over the place as if their computer is about to explode.
This is just another virus. It is hyped up to be something devastating, but apart from its ability to replicate and avoid detection, it is like any other virus. A lot of viruses already steal personal information from your computer. To avoid catching Conficker C, use the same methods you would to prevent any other virus.
Assuming you don’t already have Conficker on your computer, waiting to attack, here are the usual anti-virus tips you should follow.
- Don’t click on suspicious links on suspicious sites.
- Don’t download suspicious files, or most of the time, files that are around 900kb or 300kb (unless you know the file you’re looking for is supposed to be that size).
- Use good a good anti-virus program like AVG and make sure it’s fully updated.
- Don’t open suspicious emails and their suspicious attachments.
- Scan files before you open them.
- Make sure your operating system is updated.
- Use a firewall. Vista’s firewall is sufficient for most people, so just make sure that it’s enabled.
Use common sense and if you think a site or file might be infected, don’t open it. If you think your computer might already be infected with the Conficker worm, my suggestion would be to just reformat. You will lose all your files that you did not back up, but at least you will be 100% sure that your personal information isn’t being stolen. Just don’t back up your files if you’re already infected, because the virus will transfer along with your backups. Good luck and keep your computer safe. To protect your computers from virus infection, it is always best to read Antivirus Reviews to select the best product in the market.
Posted in Internet, News, Operating Systems, Security, Tips & Tricks
Dream Machines Show at Half Moon Bay Airport – Photo Gallery »